Friday, January 6, 2012

Lentil Stew is good for yew

I don't like lentils. I grew up thinking they were quite icky. But Mom would make them despite my brother's and my complaints and we would have to eat them. Because "they are good for you," Mom would always say.


But how? Lentils gives you protein and cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber, as well as twice as much iron than other legumes. The high fiber content is especially helpful with blood-sugar disorders as it prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat. 


Not only are lentils super good for you, but they're cheap... dirt cheap. Going for about 75 cents per pound, this food has become a staple in my frugal college life. It sure is better than ramen.. In fact! Compared to lentils, Ramen is expensive! But I don't like Ramen anyway... so no skin off my nose.. (or is it back?....that's a weird saying)


So now that I'm not a picky child anymore and I'm seeking a cheap and healthy lifestyle, I'm giving lentils another shot. In fact, I'm going to make them DELICIOUS. Something that I'm not sure my mom has conquered... Sorry Momma... 


Lentil Stew
makes about 10 human sized bowls



STEP 1


Add 3 cups of lentils to a pot and let it soak in water and about a Tablespoon of Cider Vinegar (I used lemon juice) for 4 hours or over night. Make sure you measure the lentils and don't assume the bag that the lentils come in says 3 cups.. when it, in fact, says 3lbs... 






You don't have to measure the water, just make sure the water covers the lentils entirely. When you're sick of waiting for them to soak, drain and rinse them. I used lemon juice because lentils are best prepared by soaking them in a slightly acidic solution prior to cooking them. This ensures that they are better able to digest.


STEP 2


Saute veggies in some olive oil. This pan is filled up with about 5 carrots, 5 stalks of celery, and half an onion. Chopped up. The recipe I was following (loosely) called for a whole onion, but my eyes were screaming after only half so I figured it was enough. Have you ever heard eyes scream? 
Sprinkle some oregano on that! (approx. 2 tsp)


I also chopped up some bacon and threw it in with all that. It was fully cooked and all I had in the fridge, I only used about 8 slices. If I had splurged at the grocery, I would've used a pound of raw bacon, fried it and then sautéed the veggies in the bacon grease (yum!). But I was still able to taste the bacon in the end product and it tasted amazing.


STEP 3

DUMP IT IN DA POT
Yes. all the lentils, veggies, and as much bacon as your heart desired. Then pour 2 quarts of chicken or beef broth over it. Again, I didn't read the recipe very closely before I went shopping and didn't buy 2 quarts of chicken broth. I used 1 quart chicken, 1 quart vegetable broth. Again, still tasted amazing.


STEP 4


You're going to be pot crocking for 8-12 hours. I set mine for 8 hours (and took the picture 13 minutes later, yay math!) so that it would be done around 5pm, just after my last class of the day. 


STEP 5


Heap into a human sized bowl and EAT!!
In the beginning of this post, I mentioned that I didn't like lentils. I take it back. Lentils are delicious. You just gotta know the right stuff to cover up the lentily taste and bring out the savory, wholesome, filling greatness that it knows it can be. 


The price of this entire dish came to about $0.80-$1.20 a bowl. That's what I call a good college meal. 

1 comment:

  1. Great layout! Great lentil story. Looking forward to the next one!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete